Saturday, July 08, 2006

The history of Breast Cancer

http://www.bcdecker.com/SampleOfChapter/1550092723.pdf

I thought this was fascinating. I'd love to have read more on the modern history of breast cancer treatment. So much has changed already in the 13 yrs since my cousin was diagnosed, and of course, even more so from the days when my aunt was treated. I already felt "lucky" to have had this in 2006 vs 1996. Read this article and now I'm feeling even luckier! LOL

What I also love about this article is how it illustrates that breast cancer is NOT a new disease. I truly HATE the implications by some (ok.. one person in particular.. yet another story for another time) that this is all because of modern life. Nope. Sorry. Errors in DNA repair go back to the dawn of time. Period. I suppose not everyone is like me and actually owns the first edition of "DNA Repair," so perhaps I have a deeper understanding than most. :P And yes, I know the numbers of us affected have gone up bc of unknown environmental factors. But the fact remains that our generation did not invent this disease.