Friday, July 28, 2006

T-2, give or take

Just a little longer...

I've taken 8 medications. I'm almost finished with my second glass of water. Almost ready. Have to take Emend, the great anti-emetic that interferes with the brain's ability to allow emesis (throwing up, for those not medically inclined). Still have to put the EMLA cream on my port so it doesn't hurt as much when they access it. I'm not convinced it really makes a difference. I've now had the port accessed with just the spray, EMLA+spray, and without a thing (when I had that semi-emergency visit last week). It didn't hurt the time with the spray, hurt one time with EMLA + spray and not the other time, and hurt the same without anything. I have a feeling it may depend on the person who's doing the accessing more than the actual anesthetic involved. But you know what, I'm not interested in finding out more. They can access it today and then, at least I hope, that I'll be told that I can schedule its removal. As much as I don't want another fresh incision, it will be nice to have it out! They will use the same incision, but I'll have to heal all over again. I've gotten used to it but it still is tender when touched. It hurts a little when it's bumped accidentally. Then there's that thin tube to goes up into my neck and into the jugular vein. Let's just say, it will be nice to have it gone!

I know there are a bunch of you out there reading.... come leave a comment and celebrate the end of this phase with me!!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Melissa - I am so happy that this part is over for you!!! ((((((hugs)))))) and all the best to you!

Nicky said...

I'm celebrating today for you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Jennifer Stewart said...

Melissa,

I am so happy WITH YOU that this part is over! :::: throwing confetti :::: You know I think you are AMAZING!

Hugs,
Jen

Anonymous said...

I'm one of your anonymous readers! You don't know me...I'm one of the many Peas who have benefitted from your generous pregnancy-related advice. You calmed me down when I was FREAKING out a couple of years ago and I'll always be grateful.

I'm celebrating with you today as you take your LAST treatment and I wish your nothing but clean report and good health.
Nieka

Anonymous said...

YAY! So glad this part is over!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hooray!!! Good for you!!! Getting that last treatment done is an exhilarating feeling. My last chemo was May 17 and now I'm nearly done with radiation. The chemo seems like a distant memory, except for a few side effects - like weight gain, fatigue, very short hair... BUT, I'm thankful the hair is about 3/4" now and I'm not wearing a wig, nor hats unless I'm in the sun. Too darn hot for them... Thanks for sharing your wisdom with us at breastcancer.org. You have a cute daughter and know you are very proud of her. You obviously have a caring husband and family, as well. And, WOW, I'm impressed with your scrapbooking! That's something I would like to do some day... May God bless you as you have your last chemo today and anticipate upcoming surgery. I'll be praying for you. Vicky :)

SuburbanMom said...

Woo hoo! almost done :)

Cindy Lee said...

Hi, Melissa, I didn't know you were going through any of this, but am SO happy to hear that you are at the end and will be praying that it does, indeed, end quickly and with wonderful results! HUGE hugs to you as you walk "through" this and come out the other side victorious and completely well! Blessings, Cindy Lee

Margie Higuchi said...

WhooHooooo! Celebrating YOU, GF! Continued thoughts & prayers to you and the family! You're AWESOME, Miss M!! MargieH in Chicago xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Some famous person once said...this too shall pass. Now I am saying it. I'm glad this "bump in the road" is almost over and you can get on with the best parts of your life! I hope you are able to rest and enjoy the weekend. Shari

Scrapbook Lover's Dream said...

Melissa,

Wish I were standing beside you right now to kiss this thing goodbybe and kick it in the butt as it walks out the door! You are amazing, and I'm so proud to be your friend!!

Cyber hugs till our next gathering,
Abby