Sunday, September 24, 2006

step by step

Well, the drains are still draining.

I see the plastic surgeon again tomorrow. The daily totals have been too high for the drains to come out, but maybe they won't do much tonight and things will change. At this point, that's my biggest hope. I am starting to feel much better but having two tubes sticking out on each side of my torso is not comfortable. It just isn't.

When I saw the surgeon for my first post-op check on Thursday, he said things were looking well. I learned that my expanders are already over 1/2 way filled. I also learned that once I am filed all the way (overfilled actually), he'll keep me that way for about 3 months before exchanging the expanders for my "gummy bear" style silicone implants (silicone the consistency of warm gummy bears, it won't go anywhere if the capsule opens).

I also get to make a quick stop in the gyn onc office for my incision check. I hope to see a copy of the ovarian path report then. Once again, I am POSITIVE it is all benign. I saw the pics (have my own copies too). Nothing malignant looking at all. I'd just like to read these things for myself.

My eyebrows are now back in full. BIG. THICK. SHAGGY. Yuck. The good news is that they are going away tomorrow to be replaced with a nicely shaped version. A girlfriend wanted to take me for a pedicure and I told her having my eyebrows waxed would make me even happier! LOL. These former dancer's feet have never had a pedicure. I stopped dancing 15-20 yrs ago and my feet still have not totally recovered. Don't like the idea of exposing them in public! LOL

3 comments:

danahollis said...

It's amazing how fast all those eyelashes and eyebrows come back, huh! Very cool!

Oh yes, menopause, hot flashes, dryness... yuck! We'll have to chat about this. I was told that a low dose of Effexor is known to help tons with the hot flashes. Might be something you want to think about, Dr. Melissa.

Glad to hear that things are progressing fairly well! Time, it just takes time. :)

Take care of yourself!

Hugs,
Dana

Scrapbook Lover's Dream said...

Melissa - soooo glad to read that your recovery is coming along! I sure hope the drains came out today!! Not that this is the first time you've been told, but you are such an inspiration! Keep on keeping it real!

Extremely gentle hugs,
Abby

Anonymous said...

The road for any cancer is a long uphill battle...but you already know that.

I have tears in my eyes remembering all my Mom went through last year. Alot of my fears are because no one knows what will happen.

As a RN I find it hard to accept that there is limited resources and not everyone can be cured.

You are definitely an inspiration to others. Keep up the fight!