Saturday, October 28, 2006

A little catch up

I did try to post earlier in the week, but blogger and/or cyberspace ate that post.

I started physical therapy this week. I actually asked for it myself. While I do have a decent range of motion for being about 6 weeks out from this surgery, it's not enough. You already all know that I'm not patient when it comes to recovery! LOL. I've been twice so far. The first day was mostly an evaluation. That was a good thing because it showed me how far I still need to go and she taught me several exercises to work on stretching the muscles involved without putting too much pressure on them. The second session was even better. We went over a few of the previous exercises (noting improvement already in some of them! yay me!) and she addressed my concerns about exercise. I have barely exercised at all since June. I did a bit in June when chemo started, but once I got sick in July, it all came to an end. I had slowed down before that anyway just because I wanted to save my energy for taking care of Rachel and going out as a family, etc. Anyway, I started doing cardio on the recumbant bike (not allowed to use the upright and not allowed to run or do fast walking type stuff). We also worked on some abdominal exercises that I can do without using my upper body. I have a work-out again! Not going to be burning the calories like I did before, but it is a start. I'm down 2 lbs and it's not even a full week. Gotta' lost this post-chemo weight. Can't call it chemo weight bc it didn't appear until after I finished chemo.

On other fronts, we are a week away from the NYC Marathon. Dh is running again this year. Very excited for him! He's in better shape and I think better trained than he's been for any of the previous marathons. I think he's worked out some issues he's had in the past and should do quite well. I'm just bummed that I may not be able to go. Rachel has Nutcracker rehearsals on Saturday AND Sunday next weekend. Still debating how to handle it all bc I really want to pick him up at the finish. Plus, we had planned to stay at a hotel near one of the bus pick-ups to get the runners to the start. I was going to drive him early in the am and then head into the city with Rachel to watch him. So, we still need to figure out how he's getting to the start and getting home.

That was a major stressor for me this week on top of the insurance issues. Yes. Once again, it is time for the annual changing of the insurance company. A TREMENDOUS issue this year bc I am in the middle of the reconstruction process. My plastic surgeon does not participate in any plans. The local guys that do participate cannot provide the silicone "gummy bear" style implants I have chosen. Fortunately, my medical oncologist, my internist, my breast surgeon and my gynecologic oncologist are all in network in one of the plans. If they approve the plastic surgeon, we can actually go with the network only choice. Of course, we don't find that out until after choices need to be made. If they don't approve him, then it will cost us some big bucks. Very big bucks. It felt like a return to the beginning when I was spending more time fighting with insurance companies than I was fighting my disease.

I started Arimidex this month. This is my anti-estrogen cancer fighting drug that I'll be taking at least for the next 5 years. I've been on it for over a week now and so far, so good. Not noticing any side effects. It's a drug only given to post-menopausal women. I am one of those now, seeing as I no longer have ovaries. The ovaries are not the only source of estrogen in the body. There's smaller amounts produced peripherally. Arimidex is a member of the aromatose inhibitor class of drugs and it stops that production. So, some women get hot flashes on it... none so far. There are other annoying side effects too, but I haven't seen them yet. I spoke with one of the other Moms at school. She's been on it for 3 yrs without any side effects. Love to hear those sorts of things!

Yup.. more pics still coming eventually.
You should see my hair!!! It's back to about where it was when I had it all chopped off in anticipation of the chemo loss. It's maybe 1/4 of an inch to 1/ of an inch. Fully covers my cold head. Not pleased with the amount of gray, but it's not too bad either. The axillary hair is a royal PIA (pain in the arm) bc I still have no feeling there. Finally got a good shave because I had Rachel hold a mirror so I could watch what I was doing. So glad it is not summer!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

LOL at your auxiliary hair! I had to buy an electric razor because I was so afraid I'd cut my poor numb armpit. Of course, when I was on chemo, my hair still grew in that armpit, but not my other one. It figures! :)