Thursday, December 07, 2006

More on Pantene's Beautiful Lengths

Stef was right. I was a celebrity.

I went early to pick Rachel up from school on Monday so that I could stop in at the hair cutting event. As I walked down the hallway, I had lots of waves and heard "hi Rachel's mom!" several times. Before I could get down the hallway to the barn, I was surrounded by a group of second grade girls. They were so cute. Some wanted to show off their adorable new haircuts and tell me how much hair they donated. Some had some follow up questions to our assembly last week. One needed to clarify something that I found very interesting. She was afraid that because I still wear a wig that I still have breast cancer. I reminded her that my hair was growing back because I finished the chemotherapy that killed any cancer cells that were left, but it was still very, very short, so I'm still wearing my wig for a little while. I also explained to them that, no, I would not be able to get a wig from their hair (this brought tears to my eyes!) because by the time their hair is made into a wig, I won't need one anymore.

When I left, there were 15 hair donations. Plus the two middle school teachers who had their heads (and one mustache) shaved. The kids raised over $2000 to see that happen, well over the $500 goal. Don't know the totals from the bake sale or the still on-going pizza sale this week. I am so proud of all involved. Pantene's Beautiful Lengths is a program so dear to my heart. They do need more publicity. It seems that everyone we know has heard of Locks for Love, but no one's heard of this program before now. I spoke with a mom at dance just this week who was so sad to hear this. Her dd's hair was not long enough for Locks but would have been long enough for Pantene. I also would have donated my own hair when it was cut in preparation to fall out. No need for it to go to waste.

Currently, my hair is really in an awkward stage. Still painfully short but it is starting to curl. The front is straight as can be, but the back and sides are starting to stick up in odd directions. I think with another 1/2 inch, I'll be able to create something half way decent with a little gel or mousse or something.

I've been playing hookey as much as I can from all things medical, except for CMEs. LOL! That's continuing medical education credits for the non-medical folks. It's the end of the year and I did not keep up with earning credits this summer, so I've been playing catch up the last two weeks with on-line programs. I've also been playing hookey from PT. With all the aches and pains that I've been having, and then with the billing mix-up (hospital billed the insurance incorrectly so I ended up with a big fat bill!), I haven't been back in over 2 weeks. The aches and pains have now been officially attributed to Arimidex, the medication I take to keep my body estrogen starved. I did start exercising and stretching on my own again this week and now know it doesn't change the pains at all . I actually helps while I'm moving, as long as I am in motion, it's ok. It's going from beign sedentary to being in motion that hurts the most. So it's time to go back. Especially before my insurance changes on Jan 1 and we have to begin the approval process all over again!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Pantene's program sounds great! I wish I had known about it when my hair was fixing to fall out. Congrats on the super fundraiser!