Sunday, September 16, 2007

The 80's called....

and asked that I return my wardrobe from that era.


And more. Much more.


I did it.
I finally did it.

For years and years, I've had this nicely sized walk-in closet stuffed the brim with clothing. The sizes range from an 8 to an "I don't ever want to be that big again" 14. The clothing dates back to as far as the 1980s. Yes, I actually found the dress I wore to my high school graduation in the closet. Rachel did not want to keep it (so.. it's a little yellow and a little out of style... LOL), so out it went along with my banana yellow and lime green jump suits. Complete with shoulder pads. And, just because that image is not complete without a photo...

Aw... come on... you didn't have one too? I actually had 3 including one in black. I admit, that even back then, I mostly wore the black one. I thought I looked sharp in it. And thin.


So, on the eve of the anniversary of the day my hair sprouted, I woke up and decided it was finally time. 90% of the clothing did not fit anyway. Even the things I bought in this century. I'm pretty much keeping just what I've bought this year and just few older T-shirts to wear for exercising.
9 full large trash bags went to Goodwill. I'm sure someone will love these items for an 80's dance. Maybe. LOL! Not every bag was filled with clothing from the distant past. There were plenty of things that were bought in the last 5-10 years that just do not fit my reconstructed chest. It was painful to give up some of my favorite outfits, but the reality is that they no longer looked nice at all. :( But, it's not as much fun to take pictures of that sort of clothing... so more of the 80's and what was I thinking?? LOL!


I so loved this black taffetta and velvet number. Even with the double layer of double thick shoulder pads! LOLBoth Rachel and I love this fabric. Thought it might make nice pillows or maybe a curtain. Didn't everyone have a floral dress like this? I had about a dozen.


Ah yes... another of those floral dresses. This one was hard to part with because it was my favorite. OK. It is a size 7 and I will never be a size 7 again. An 8, yes. Not a 7. I wore this the day I met Howie's extended family. It was what I wore to Sara's Bat Mitzvah. So what if Sara is getting married this year. So what if it was something like 18 years ago. I know, I know. Don't worry. The dress went too.

Rachel says that Stacy and Clinton need to thank me for doing this on my own. :o And I say that I still could use a visit from that dynamic duo to help me figure out how I should be filling all that empty space in my closet. That rack behind me in the photos is the middle rack in the closet. When I woke up this morning, it was jam packed, from one end to the other. Now it is sparsly filled with a few hangers, a SMALL handful of dresses, a new hanging shoe rack and a hanging sweater rack that holds my pocketbook collection. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a big accomplishment of your closet cleanout! That is so hard to do, but you've completed it. Now--go have fun shopping!

danahollis said...

Haha... to funny!

I have one dress left from the late 80's... just can't part with it. Other than that, it's all long gone. I can't believe you've kept all that stuff! :) :)

Purging is such a freeing experience. :)

Happy Shopping! ;)

Hugs,
Dana

Sharon said...

Congratulations on cleaning out your closet. I need Stacey and Clinton to come to my house. I found your blog through Stephanie's. I am a breast cancer survivor also, and previously employed for 25 years as a physician. I finished chemo 2 years ago, reconstruction last year, so I can feel for all you are going through. Didn't see an email address for you, but you can contact me through my blog if you would like (I could even share pictures that would be too much info for a PG blog - I mean post op pictures). I just have not had the stamina to go back to work however, so I am blessed that for the time being, I am not, and am doing other things, like scrapbooking and fun stuff.
Sharon

Andrea Amu said...

This is too funny!

I went through my closet this week too and changed out the seasonal stuff. I also have hung on to some clothes from my High School era. I still have the sweater and scarf that I wore for my Senior portraits.

Anyway, glad that you found my blog, cause I didn't know you had one either!
:)

Unknown said...

oh man....i wish i hadn't purged my closet of the 80's...dd is now begging me for anything from that decade! i listened to my mother, dh, and others who said to toss it all...