Wednesday, January 03, 2007

New Year, New Hair

As promised to my daughter and husband, I've started the New Year out bare. I am giving up my wig. Not without some resistance, mind you. I miss it already! It was so easy. It's always styled, always colored perfectly. Not a strand of gray. I could put it on without even having taken a shower and I'd look good. :P

I am NOT a short haired gal. It's just not me. But, even dh, who used to hold on to older photos of me with short hair to remind me NOT to get my hair cut too short, keeps insisting I don't need a wig or a hat of any sort anymore.

So.. this is it.

The big moment.

I'm minutes away from my first big public appearance. I'm going to pick Rachel up from school. Ever since I did that assembly, I get questions from the kids (usually the 1st and 2nd graders) at least twice a week. I am so anxious. I know it's silly. It's just hair. But imagine for a moment what it is like to lose all your hair.. all of it.. even the little hairs on your arms and the all important hair inside your nose. It all comes back and does not need much help, except of course, the hair on your head. It's part of who we are. It's the image you show to the world. I admit to hiding behind my long hair, especially that long, perfectly styled wig. That's who I became. For some reason, I don't associate it with a bad, horrible time in my life. I suppose it's because I'm still living that time. I concentrated so very hard on the positive throughout treatment that perhaps it was inevitable for the anxiety and the negatives to rise up into my consciousness. I'm also still in the middle of reclaiming my body. My new body, that is. I have 2 more surgeries to go, but they seem so far away still. I am digressing again! LOL

Back to the topic. I'm going to pick Rachel up at school, where pretty much everyone, at least most of the younger kids, know that I've been wearing a wig. Then, I'll take her to dance, where next to no one knows I've had cancer and wear a wig. After that, it will be off to work. I'm guessing half the people I interact with know what I've been through recently. Then, tomorrow, I have an interview at my old stomping grounds.. where some know and I suppose some do not. So...... this should be interesting!

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Melissa: I came across your blog recently and have been "following your journey". So, how did it go?