Friday, January 26, 2007

What you've been waiting for





Here they are, at long last. The physical evidence that my life is trying to return to normal. The new normal.
The first photo was taken in very late December on my dd's camera. It's actually the second digital camera we bought probably in 1999. Rachel loves it, but technology has come a long way since then. This is the length my hair was when I gave up the wig at the request of my dh and dd. The photo could use some major editing, but then again, so could I. LOL!






And now, just about three weeks later, this is my hair. I am getting the hang of taming it down to some degree. Rachel insisted we share front and back views. Not sure you can really appreciate the texture on screen. Definitely curlier than I expected.







When I first found out I was going to be doing chemotherapy, I played a game anytime I went out, "spot the bald women." Until I became a nursing mom, I never, or at least rarely noticed women breastfeeding in public. Then, I became a nursing mom and saw women nursing everywhere. I thought maybe the same phenomenon might apply to being bald. Yes, occasionally you see an obvious cancer patient walking around, but just how often is that? Amazingly enough, my first trip out to the supermarket resulting in several spottings. It somehow brought me a little comfort to be able to pick these women out. That brings me to my new game. I'm always looking for women with even shorter hair than I have. LOL! What's odd is that I am now always wondering if they are wearing their hair this way on purpose or not. I suspect the vast majority are doing it on purpose. Not me. I may never go back to hair as long as you see in my profile picture (which, incidentally, was taken about a month before diagnosis), but it certainly will not stay this short.

1 comment:

Margie Higuchi said...

Melissa! LOVE your hair!! You look fabulous!! It's so good to SEE you! One of these days I would love to meet face-to-face! Maybe CHA-Chicago? I still keep in touch with some of the "old" NJScrappers! Take good care! MargieH in Chicago