Friday, August 08, 2008

So easy a child could do it

Digital scrapbooking.

It's a phrase that strikes fear in the heart of many.

Others jump right in.

I didn't care for it at all in the early days of digi scrapping. The pages looked far too... well.. digital!

I also had no desire to give up that whole manual aspect. I actually enjoy cutting, pasting, and creating.

But, as you know from previous entries, I've been dabbling a little in the world of digi scrapping. At this point, it is just about making these 8x8 photo books through Artscow.com. I still play with paper. You can even see my latest paper creation at http://scribblescrabble-scribblemethis.blogspot.com/ which is Scribble Scrabble's new blog.




So, what about that child?




Rachel had a performance today, two in fact. I, being the dutiful mom, went and took photos. In the middle of one of the performances I though how cool would it be to make Rachel one of those 8x8 books from the performance. So, I went about taking even more photos and actually taking photos of the other kids too. :P

We came home and I sat down to get started. Rachel wanted to do it herself. Didn't want Mom to do it for her. She's a big girl now, you know. Truly. Look at this photo from today's show. She's dancing to Blackbird by the Beatles.

.


So, she sat down beside me and I walked her through the basics of digi scrapping in PSE 5.0. I showed her how to create a canvas, chose background papers, add digi elements and how to change their color if need be, and how to save a file in PSE in different formats. We looked through some digi kits and she chose a free kit from Shabby Princess.com .


Here's her title page


and page 1



Not too shabby, eh? She's almost half way through. That's 15 pages done. Not going to say how long it would take me to do the same with paper scrapping. Not going to think about it. And, I'd like to remind she is 11 yrs old. I've now taught her everything I know how to do regarding digi scrapping. Can't wait to see where she takes it next.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! Way to go, Rachel!