Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Packing

It's just not fun.

Was it ever fun?

I can't remember. But packing for experiencing 3 seasons in a period of 10 days, plus exercise gear and formalwear and fitting it all in one suitcase that falls under the new strictly enforced airline weight limits, is just not fun.

I like to be over-prepared so this is becoming quite a challenge. Adding just one more complication is my ever changing body. I pulled out the one formal dress I had planned to take on the cruise. Tried it on before I put it in the suitcase. So glad I did! I had forgotten until Rachel reminded me that this dress was pre-mastectomy. It's from my DD/DDD days. It's probably only 2 sizes too big. Maybe 3. Not good at all. I am a barely a B these days. So, then I move on to the dresses I wore on our last cruise. I use a photo of me in the green version as an avatar on several web sites, and another photo of me in it appeared in a published layout about breast cancer, so you may have seen it. It is definitely post-mastectomy and even post-reconstruction. I loved how it looked last year. Now, it's just OK. I could definitely use a size smaller, but no such thing exists in my wardrobe! Oh well. I've already gone out and bought a fleece for layering/warmth and a waterproof jacket to wear on top of that... and new sneakers. But I've needed new sneakers for a good year.

Can't we just travel with our entire wardrobes? It would be so much easier.



Back to the dressing room.


Oh.. and we start our journey to Alaska on Thursday night, so I will be even quieter than usual for while!

No comments: