Sunday, June 24, 2007

Let it roll

It's been one of those weeks all sorts of things did not go as planned.

Once upon a time, I was a type A personality, with everything that goes with it. I lived my life with lists, always following the clock, and with high expectations. There was a point in time, I think it came sometime after my residency, when I made a conscious decision not to live my life that way. This may be shocking for some, but it was then that I gave up wearing a watch. {I can hear the gasps from the type As out there now! LOL}

Just like purses are to me now, a watch was a very necessary fashion accessory. Of course, it was more than a fashion accessory, it was how I lived my life. Always in a rush to finish the task at hand and get onto the next.

Even worse than giving up my watch, sometime after I finished residency and did not need to get up at 5 am on a regular basis, I gave up my alarm clock. I actually applied something I learned in medical school but never had the chance to try. If you get enough sleep, you will wake up on time. It happens each and everyday. It actually still amazes me.

So, now I'm going to bring back this not so amazing conversation with myself to cancer. You thought it was going to be a non-cancer post, didn't you? LOL. Is it ever? I learned a lesson this week. We had all sorts of things go wrong this week. I was trying to meet a friend in Penn Station and missed her by probably 10-15 minutes due to a late train and cell phones that don't work in tunnels. It rained that whole morning, ruining our original plans (we made due with a morning at the American Girl Place... a bonus for Miss Rachel). Rachel and I were supposed to drive to MD to visit a college friend and her dds on Thursday. We were also going to visit the Great American Scrapbook Convention in VA with them (they are new scrappers), and we were going to scrap (reminds me that I was going to work on my Boxer stuff for July- still need to do that!). None of that happened because my alternator died a sudden a death. My dh went to install my new amazing Sony dye sub photo printer only to learn that it was broken before we ever used it. It will be replaced, but I am printer-less (my addicted scrapper/photography fiend friends will understand that calamity). It's been one thing after another the last few days. Nothing is going my way.

But it's OK. And that's the lesson. In my post-active-treatment life (though taking a pill everyday is still treatment, but it's certainly not as violent a treatment as chemo or surgery), the little things matter less. In another lifetime, I would be angry, frustrated, ticked off, and maybe even sad. But I'm not. I'm OK. It's not a conscious thing. I didn't have to decide that I was going to let these things just roll off my back. They just did. All on their own.

Not sure if this really is a blog-worthy entry, but that's OK too. :P I'm going with it.

No comments: