Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Freedom!

Saw my plastic surgeon yesterday.

I still get a kick out of the fact that I have a plastic surgeon. I did once consider becoming one myself. I once cut sutures during a very cool facial reconstruction surgery during a short surgical elective as a medical student. They were reconstructing the face of a little boy who had a severe dog bite injury. The surgery was amazing and I easily imagined myself doing that sort of thing. I also love operating with the minute detail and neatness that a plastic surgeon should have... but no one really gets to see my work because most of it is inside. :) LOL

Anyway, I had a short list of questions for him and I loved the answers. :) Number one was about my restrictions- they've been lifted. Number two was about living 24/7 in a compressive high impact sports bra.

Yes.

You got it.

I am free!!!!

Finally, I am allowed to wear any bra in any color or style my little heart desires!!!!!

Or, better yet, no bra at all. :)

I admit I came home from my appointment and took off the sports bra. :o


The concept of shopping for any bra I want after all these years is, in all honesty, overwhelming. I was a C cup by the time I was in 6th grade and was wearing a 32D by sometime the next year. I no longer have that small a band size, but I'm now a B. I've spent years admiring all the cute colors and styles that came in B cups. What I want to know though, is when did Victoria's Secret become so darn expensive??? LOL. Years ago, I tried to shop there, but 38DD was not really a size they carried in the store and if they did have one, it did not have sufficient support. I went there a few weeks ago, before I was allowed out of the sports bra... just to take a peek. Those bras cost almost as much as my old multimillion dollar Wacoals.

As overwhelming as it is, it is much better than being overwhelmed by chemotherapy.

So, what's next? If you don't want to know, stop reading.

We discussed the next phase. Assuming the insurance company gets a clue and agrees to pay like we were originally promised, I get nipples. He makes them out of my own skin. No skin transplant technique like some do. He uses the skin that is already there. I understand that they are quite huge (he used the term protuberant) for a while and then they shrink down. I guess it means I should get bras for our cruise in August because the headlights will be on all the time! :o Then, about 4 months later, I get to do something else I never pictured myself doing. I get tattoos. That's how they get color and how the areola is created. I bet you didn't even think about that part. Just like how most people don't realize that getting cuter boobs in a situation like this is not quite the same as having a reduction, lift or augmentation. After a mastectomy, there's no feeling. When I have the nipples created, I will not need anesthesia. No general. I can have sedation if I choose, but it's not necessary. I'm thinking of doing it without sedation so I can drive myself (though my sister has offered to take a day off and I suspect dh would offer to do the same).

So, that's the latest. A little more information than some of you probably wanted to know. :P

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melissa -
I haven't stopped by for awhile to see what you've been up to. Thought I would today.

Great news about how the reconstruction is coming along! I had the nipples done when they switched out the expanders for the permanent implants. Hope yours goes well. My doctor prepared me, so I wasn't totally disappointed when one of them didn't "take". I decided to leave them be and not try to correct it again. Now I have one "headlight"!
I opted not to do the tatooing also, since it was one more procedure and I wasn't in the mood! I'm fine with how everything looks, though. With clothes on no one can tell unless I tell them. My PS did a fab job!
Good luck with your final touches!

april said...

thanks for the health update, glad you're doing better. BTW, i gave my hair to LOL in April, and literally the next day, I read your blog about Pantene's beautiful lengths, so I talked to my friend, Scarlet about it, and she gave hers to that organization. her blog is http://scarletra.typepad.com if you want to check it out.

Just wanted to let you know that you inspired me to inspire someone else.