Monday, November 27, 2006

Show and Tell

That's my project this week.

DD's school is having a cancer awareness week. There are several fundraising activities going on, including a "hair raising" activity. Several teachers and students have signed up to donate their hair to Pantene's Beautiful Lengths program. The children that donate/raise the most money will get to have the honors for the initial haircutting. The Pantene program is similar to more widely known Locks fof Love program, except Locks is just for kids wigs and has more stringent requirements for the hair. You can donate your hair to the Pantene program with a minimum of just 8 inches.

Part of the events for the week are assemblies for the lower and middle school students. I am putting on my big girl panties and will actually get up and not only speak to the kids at assemblies on Wed and Thurs, but I will , once again, TAKE OFF MY WIG IN PUBLIC! I cannot believe I just volunteered to do so. LOL! I was called about speaking at the assemblies but it was my idea to take off the wig to give a strong visual and now I'm a little nervous about it. It's a good thing though. I'm sure it will be just fine. I'm at an awkward hair stage... not bald anymore and not enough hair to look remotely feminine. My wig is a security blanket. I can hide behind it. I envy my sisters in this journey who are comfortable enough to go without covering their heads at any stage. I like my wig and it's always-perfect-but-not-too-perfect style (which is what makes it look real). I like the color better than my own. I like that I don't need to wash it everyday. I love that I don't need to style it. Not ever. It just bounces back into shape. I'm going to miss it in some ways. Never going to miss what it represents though! And, more important, I can't pass up the opportunity to increase the awareness of what it does represent. So, for the second time, I will take it off in public. The only difference is this time it's planned. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a really great thing you and the school are doing. I am actually working to promote Pantene Beautiful Lengths. Would you mind letting me know what school or even what city this is in, so I know if we have already sent material to them? Thanks and good luck!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful Melissa!! Think of what a difference you'll make to these kids by getting up there!

Again, so amazed by you and so proud to know you! You rock!

(((HUGS))) Brandy

Stefanie said...

You're a super star! I can't wait to hear all about it. So when was the first time you went wigless?
;-)