Wednesday, January 09, 2008

I DID IT!!!

I feel like jumping up and down! (where's Vern when you need her anyway :P)

I DID IT!!

I went back to ballet class for the first time in 20 years. Probably 25 years since I took class on a more than once a week basis.

It was like coming home.

OK, So it was like coming home but the lights are off and someone rearranged all the furniture! LOL!

I took a 90 minute advanced adult ballet class. I think if I could have taken an adult beginner class (they don't have one at this studio), it would have helped because I wouldn't have been quite as lost. Everything moved much faster than I remembered!! But when I was able to remember what I was supposed to be doing, I could do it! That probably doesn't make much sense, but it works for me. :P I was able to get through most of the barre exercises (and I've been told this particular teacher's barre is a tough one) but floundered on the floor exercises quite a bit. I think there was only one combination that I was able to master. For the rest, I just tried to get bits and pieces of them.

Afterwards, the instructor did pay me a few nice compliments... including saying that it was clear that I had been very well trained. (That might be true but it was once upon a time... LOL). I remember the days when I could walk into any dance class anywhere and pretty much keep up, so it was a little frustrating for me and I imagine it will be until I get back in the groove. Yup. I am going back again.

For the last 20 years, I've tried different forms of exercise but haven't stuck with anything. Quite frankly, I don't enjoy running. Walking is OK, but I get bored even listening to music while I walk or even while watching TV (the latter helps more). I've tried aerobic dancing and plain old aerobics. I've even tried yoga, which I enjoyed and still do, but it's not like this. I think I've been looking far too long for something that was always around the corner. Well.. not quite around the corner, but close enough. If I have any regrets in this life, it's that I stopped taking dance classes. I can say that now that I've tried it again. :) I'm already thinking ahead and wondering if I can fit in 2 classes a week.... of course... that's today. I probably won't feel that way after I wake up tomorrow and after we sit on the plane to Florida for 2+ hours!!

tombe, pas de bouree, pirrouette... and again. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are inspiring me to take up ice skating again (not easy living in georgia,ha!). i miss it, it was the one form of exercise i enjoyed...