Saturday, February 07, 2009

High Anxiety

I thought I was bigger than this. Bigger and braver.

But, still, every once in a while, cancer slaps me in the face when I least expect it.

I expect it when I visit my young survivor message board. I expect it when I learn that we've lost yet another member (RIP Amanda) or learn that someone else has had disease progression.

I expect it as I approach my every 3 month series of medical appointments. That series is approaching rapidly. In the course of less than 2 weeks, I see my medical oncologist for a "routine" check up, I get a an infusion of Zometa to prevent bone mets, I see my internist and I will visit a new-to-me cardiologist. That makes me a little anxious. I prefer to see doctors I know personally. I admit I am considering changing the appointment to one of the cardiologists I do know. I also hate filling out the new patient forms. They never leave enough room for my list of surgeries and medical history.

Cardiologist, you ask? Why am I adding YET another doctor to my list?? The answer is two-fold (three fold, if count that my internist has been insisting on it for 2 years and I've been ignoring her). One is that some chemo drugs can be quite toxic to the heart. The other, more pressing reason is that my mother had her first MI at 51, not too deep into menopause. I am in menopause, thanks to removal of my ovaries, and I have inherited some of her other issues as well. In the "pro" column is the fact that unlike mom, I have never been a smoker, and I exercise regularly.

That brings me to the next source of recent anxiety. I added yet another exercise class to my weekly routine this week. I started taking Zumba, a Latin dance based exercise class. Think fast paced Latin music coupled with aerobic dance heavily infused with moves from salsa, mambo, chacha, etc. It's not quite what I am used to. The warm-up is not exactly what I'd call a warm-up. It is fun, though.

But that's not what caught me surprise.

It was the locker room. (cue deep dark music)

I have been taking ballet classes for a year now. I do change my clothes in a locker room on a regular basis. I don't know why this was suddenly such a hard thing for me. I didn't expect it. All of a sudden, I was extremely self conscious of the long scars that run from under my arms, across each breast, to the edge of my sternum. I know my scars are fading. I know that I have amazingly realistic tattoos (areolae) that make the scars less prominent in appearance. I bet no one would notice unless they were looking. And who really looks in a crowded locker room? Those facts were no comfort at that moment in time. All of a sudden, I was reminded that I am still considered a breast cancer patient and will, for all intents and purposes, no matter what my disease status, will always still be a breast cancer patient. I can't hide from that when I am naked in a group of strangers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

But you know what? You're beautiful and so super smart and accomplished. And really, the cancer survivor thing is another certificate to hang on your wall, with the diplomas, to say SEE? I'm awesome. I'm a winner. And you are. :)

Karen said...

Melissa - you are so accomplished in so many ways. Another couple of things to add to your diploma wall -- great and interesting writer and educator.

I guess that it's true.... doctors do make the worst patients, LOL! I'm glad to hear that you are going to see the cardiologist.

BTW, my mom too had her first and only MI at 51, and will be 67 in March with no further problems. She too was a smoker, and it took the MI for her to quit.

I'll be sending positive thoughts your way.
-Karen

Mimi said...

I agree with Lisa, and you are awesome.

Unknown said...

those are not scars, they are badges of honor, courage and strength. be proud of your war wounds - you fought the battle and won

hlsst7 said...

I am a lurker and wanted to share a story that may change your perspective. I have a lump in my armpit that I had checked. As I was waiting in the spa-like waiting area in my white terry robe at the hospital, another woman (had to be in her seventies) was sitting next to me. She asked if it was my first mammogram/ultrasound, to which I replied yes. She wanted to know why I was having it done. She then proceeded to open her robe and show me her chest, complete with scars from bilateral mastectomies. I was a little or should I say a lot horrified. She must have noticed my shock. She then told me that no matter what the outcome, we are all survivors. She was living proof that life goes on after those surgeries. She had that surgery 23 years ago. It took me awhile to process everything, but she really changed my point of view of things. It takes a strong woman to share their experience that way. It takes a strong woman to even go into a locker room after what you have been through. Thanks for keeping it real.