Saturday, October 04, 2008

And all that jazz!

So, you've followed my adventures in cancerland. You've followed my return to the world of twirly girls as I went back to ballet after about 25 years.



You've probably guessed it already. If you are a friend on Facebook you already know.



I went back to jazz class this week.



The break was not quite as long as ballet. I did continue jazz classes a bit longer, on a rather irregular schedule, until medical school began. So, instead of almost a 25 year break, it's closer to a little over 20 years. Like that makes a difference!



And even better, this was an adult beginner Broadway jazz class. Quite unlike the advanced adult ballet class I jumped right into back in January. It was easy and there was nothing complex. It did not require anywhere the same amount of brain power that I require to even get through the first exercises at the barre in ballet. And thank goodness for that because this class is at night and I am not sure I am capable of doing that sort of thinking that late in the evening. Critical medical thinking, yes. But retaining complex combinations in my head and then performing them, and even reverse, flipping them to the left side, no!



Don't get me wrong. It might not have been a mental stretch, however, it was definitely a physical stretch! I do have a natural turn out and have to think to stand in parallel. It came back to me that it was always a challenge to go from ballet to jazz class. And while it might not have required the same level of brain power on my part, it's not like I wasn't wishing there was a shower in the studio when I walked out of the class!



Did I mention the class was fun? What a blast it was! There were 4 of us, all in our 40's. I am excited because all of us are committed to continuing with the class. One of the others is even trying to figure out when she can get to the adult ballet classes now. Ah yes... another addict has been created. The instructor is a riot. He takes much of the classic Luigi style warm-up and uses them in his own way with a heavy dose of humor. I've watched the kids and even older teens take his class and they are smiling the whole time. I know I did as well.



So... now on Tuesday night, I'm going back again. They are also starting a beginner lyrical jazz class for adults too. I can't commit to another night, especially one when Rachel is actually NOT at the studio, but I want to at least try the class. (The first one is free). It should be an interesting contrast.

3 comments:

Mimi said...

Awsome! Jazz your heart out, whohooooo!

Andrea Amu said...

Good for you, Melissa! Sounds like a fun thing to be doing all for you!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like SUCH a fun class! Broadway jazz! Have tons of fun!