Tuesday, September 23, 2008

September is nearly over...

which means October is almost here.

Not sure how I feel about October this year and the inevitable onslaught of pink which has already infiltrated most of the universe. October, for the uninitiated, is the month where breast cancer is thrown in your face at just about every turn.

As a survivor, it's a constant reminder. Sometimes, that's just not a helpful thing when you are moving on as much as you can from breast cancer. Then again, with a sister now following closely on my heels on this path, I've already been pulled back into this world. I don't need a reminder. On the other hand, I think I am actually pretty darn well. September 12 passed and it did not occur to me that the day was anything other than my father's birthday... instead of being the second anniversary of living without my breasts and ovaries. Not too shabby.

What I do need is hope. My sister and I both have daughters. We need hope that maybe, just maybe, our girls will not walk this road. So, all this awareness and fundraising, in my eyes, is for them and little girls like them everywhere.

I do urge you to "Think Before You Pink" though. Look at where your money is going from the pink products you might buy. Some of these products around in October are just pink! No money from the sale is going anywhere other than someone's pockets. Look at how much... or how little is going to the cause. Some of the companies producing special pink products are donating pennies, or less, to the charitable organization they show on the package label. Your money is better spent giving directly to the specific organization in many cases. Of course, if I am buying a package of York Peppermint Patties, you'd better believe I'm buying the one with the pink wrappers that sends a few pennies to the Young Survival Coalition.

And, I am once again participating in the Race for the Cure early next month. I even have the whole weekend off for a change of pace. Please consider supporting our me or join our team, 2Sisters2Young4This in our race against time to find a way to truly PREVENT this from happening in the first place.

End of plug. :)

3 comments:

Mimi said...

Pink washing bothers me on many levels, I agree.

Best wishes on your race! You rock!

Theresa said...

Hi Melissa,
Good luck on your walk!
Someday they will find a cure because of your actions.
I tagged you (blog tag.)
If you want to play along, the rules are on my blog:
http://goingscrapbooky.blogspot.com
Theresa

Andrea Amu said...

You are so right about the pink purchases and not all monies really going for the cause... never really thought about that!

And I know what you mean about the reminders in October... I feel the same because October is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness too! It can be difficult!

I sure hope your daughter and niece never have to walk down that same path as you and your sister! We gotta have hope!