Friday, May 04, 2007

My sweet angel!




This past weekend, Rachel decided it was time to donate her gorgeous hair. For various reasons, we choose Pantene's Beautiful Lengths to donate her hair to. This program, probably much less known than Locks of Love, creates real hair wigs (as opposed to the very expensive synthetic wig I purchased) and makes them available through the American Cancer Society for those undergoing chemotherapy. {Locks of Love 's program is for children with long term hair loss, not kids undergoing chemo as is popularly thought.. a good cause nonetheless, but not what most people understand.} I wish I had known about the Pantene program when I had my hair cut short in anticipation of the massive chemo related loss. Another little plus is that they only require 8 inches of hair for a donation. Rachel donated about 9 inches.





We went to a local mall to get her hair cut. She had wanted to do this back in November at a hair cutting party held at her school, but in all honesty, I wasn't ready. I was still wearing a wig back in November. While I did take it off to show the children at school, it was still crew cut like length, not ready for public viewing. LOL


Posted by Picasa


I admit I do love her hair at this length! She does too. She's quickly become the queen of headbands, coordinating them to every outfit. Putting her hair up in a bun for ballet 3 days a week isn't easy at this length, but it will be by September. Rachel's now debating growing it to donate all over again or possibly keeping it around this length.


I am so incredibly proud of my little girl. Not only has she donated her hair, she's been working on fundraising as well. About a month ago, she came up with an idea for a business. She decided to sell friendship bracelets to raise money for a cancer related cause. Very quickly, in just 3 days, she raised over $100, all essentially on the playground. She created quite a stir at school. She ended up employing other children to make the bracelets, but not before she charged them to learn how! She has since started tasking orders. Demand at school has slowed down a bit, so she's decided to go on-line with her sales after I get around to creating a web site for her.

3 comments:

Stefanie said...

LMK when you get Rachel's website up and I'll link to it from my blog. She's such a sweetheart for everything that she's done after all that she's been through. You're a lucky mom! :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow! She is quite a girl.

april said...

What an awesome gift. I just donated mine to LoL at the beginning of April. I wish I had known about Pantene's. I gave 13 inches...what a weight off my shoulders. I have pics on my blog, but not nearly as cute as your daughter's.