Thursday, February 01, 2007

What have you read lately?

I'm looking for suggestions.

I am fresh out of books.

With the surgery coming up in less than 2 weeks (WHAT?? SO SOON?? yes. I know. It's just seeing it in print that makes me jump out of skin), I need to stock up on some good reading. I am typically a book a day person when there's nothing going on. And, certainly, there will be nothing going for a few days, I suspect. I do have a few movies I might watch during my quasi-quarantine (Rent is one of them, the others are current pay per view choices), but they'll really just be reading breaks. They'll will make it so I won't go through more than one book in a day. Even if I'm not sitting around reading for a few days after the surgery, we do have a vacation in March. :)

Here's what I've read in the last few weeks:

Bathsheba's Breast (history of breast cancer treatment)

Plain Truth (Jodi Picoult. will probably pick another one of her books to read. Loved this one like I loved Sister's Keeper which I read after the last surgery)

The Constant Princess (Phillipa Gregory.. I've possibly read everything she's written)

A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Diana Gabaldon- Ok. This was not a one day read. I started this during my recovery in Sept and couldn't get through it. Had trouble getting into it. Finished recently. Not interested in reading another like this for a long time)

I'm up for suggestions. I know you are out there reading this. :P Leave me a comment or email me or send up a smoke signal! I need ideas!

Thanks. :)

6 comments:

Chit Chat With Divagirlrn said...

Here are some book recommendations from a fellow Pea, FSU Scrapper:

The Memory Keeper's Daughter
The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd
The Glass Castle
The Secret Life of Bees
The Rome Affair
Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson
The Interruption of Everything by Terry McMillan

I also enjoy reading books by Beverly Lewis that are about the Amish. Right now I'm reading the second book in the Abram's Daughters series called The Betrayal. I read the first book in the series called The Covenant.

Another authors I enjoy are Adriana Triagini, Elizabeth Berg, Jennifer Weiner, Tess Gerritsen, Jodi Piccoult, and Janet Evanovich.

Steph said...

Have you read Marley and Me? It's my favorite that I recommend to everyone who asks :)

Steph said...

Yep, I'm out here reading this. :)

The books listed above are great suggestions. The last book I read was The Memory Keeper's Daughter and it was great! I'll have to go look up some more on Amazon.

Anonymous said...

The 10th Circle by the author of My Sister's Keeper

Actually, email me your address and I'll send it to you!

Have you read the "shopaholic" series....total fluff, but fun!

KatieButler said...

Two that I've read/will be reading for my book club are : The Alchemist, by Paolo Cuelho, and Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See.
I don't know if you're a fan of historical fiction, but Phillipa Gregory has written several books set in the Tudor era that are good, quick reads.

Elizabeth said...

Thinking about you as I finish up the SS travel feature! Books help make anything better, so I have no doubt that they will help you through this surgery, too.

Have you read....
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner (my favorite of hers)

and TOTAL fluff: Something Borrowed, followed by Something Blue by Emily Giffin (remember, total fluff but very escapist)

Good luck—you've been through a lot!