Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Nursing Care for Bilateral Mastectomy/Tissue Expander Patients



I am incredibly annoyed that I feel the need to address this.

My sister called and gave me her report from the evening and this morning.

I do remember what it was like. However, like childbirth, we tend to put the worst parts back into the deep recesses of our minds.

I had forgotten what it's like to not sleep well because the PCA button needs to be pressed every so often for pain control. She reminded me.

I did remember how hard it is not to be able to do simple things for yourself. How you can't change the channel on the TV set or even turn it off unless someone leaves it very close by. You can't reach for the phone to answer it. It has to be right there. She still reminded me.

I had forgotten that even though someone delivers your breakfast on a tray that unless someone helps you get it set up and gets you up to eat, it doesn't matter that it was delivered to you. You can't eat until someone helps you. She reminded me.

I had forgotten what it is like to wait all morning for someone to help wash you up. Help may be an exaggeration. You need someone to wash you. There's little you can do yourself. I will be explicit and add that wiping yourself in the bathroom is one of the most difficult chores you have. Pretty hard to reach that area when you don't have use of your pectoral muscles. No one ever came to help my sister wash up this morning. Her dh had to. She reminded me.

So, the purpose of this entry is not for my handful of regular readers. This entry is for when some young or not so young med-surg or oncology nursing student enters something like "post-op care for bilateral mastectomy patients" into a search engine they will may find this entry and get a clue! Your patients in this situation can barely use their arms at all. Hands, yes. Arms, no. The best nursing care will address this. And I hope to address this with the nursing supervisor later this afternoon myself.

4 comments:

danahollis said...

Sigh... I hate cancer. I really do!

I hope your sister gets to feeling better soon.

I've been thinking of you and I'll add her to my thoughts as well.

Many hugs!!!
Dana

Cupcake said...

Melissa,
I have been absent from your blog for quite some time but have never forgotten you from 2 peas days. I am glad you are doing well and I hope the same for your sister. And I think your entry was great. I never would have guessed about the limitations. Thank you for educating the public!
Take care.

Sudie said...

Prayers for healing for your sister.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. I have a friend who is having a Bilateral Mastectomy/Tissue Expander done this week and I will be staying with her for about a week post-op. This is exactly what I was looking for when googling. I wanted to know what her limitations will be and what kind of pain to expect. I hope your sister is feeling better and may god bless her. Thanks again for the advice ~Debbie