Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Another little happy dance

Miss me?

I just haven't had much to say lately. Life goes on.

I've been working on the ever slow weight loss process. It's frustratingly slow. Especially when I watch the Biggest Loser (as I did this morning courtesy of TIVO) and see these folks with massive weight loss each week. I know it's not a realistic situation and I know at my weight, I'll never see those numbers. Even worse, being on tamoxifen, it is a constant battle to simply maintain my weight. Not sure I'm going to hit my goal this month, but it should be close. You'd think with a 2 lb goal, it wouldn't be such a big deal. Didn't get to ballet today because Rachel is ill and home from school. Tried pushing myself in the gym instead. Not the same but it's better than sitting around.

On the other hand, one of the primary reasons I have been working so hard on diet and exercise is for my overall health. I've been on medication for my lipids (aka cholesterol and triglycerides) for 9 months now. Just got my 3 month supply for a mere $125 that would bring it to a year. I also just got my recent blood test results.

NORMAL
100% totally normal!!!!!

I have to say I was totally blown away by those results. I had been concerned about "cheating." I love my carbs far too much. Giving up red meat was not hard at all. But carbs... they are my friend. Especially simple sugars. I've already gone to whole grain breads and pastas and greatly limited even those but I admit I am a sucker for a few Hershey kisses, cookies, or a few jelly beans. I should explain further. After 3 months on the medication, my cholesterol was normal, but the triglycerides were still a hair over the line. My cholesterol is now at the bottom of the normal range at 125! And my triglycerides are squarely in the midst of the normal range at 100.

I can't take all the credit. I do have to admit it probably wasn't just all diet, exercise, medication, and fish oil supplements that did this. I suspect a portion of the credit might go to tamoxifen as well. I've been on that for almost a year now. Tamoxifen is known for a having a positive effect on the lipid profile in most women. So, I'll tip my hat to tamoxifen too.

My tumor markers are normal too, as is everything else. It's funny. Having normal blood work is something I very definitely took for granted in the past. Today, it's all extraordinary phenomenal news in my book!

Going to celebrate with a jelly bean or two or three. :P

1 comment:

Unknown said...

congrats!!! normal is a word we definitely take for granted...you are right. but i am so glad you are "normal" right now!