Friday, December 14, 2007

The drama of December



Wow. Blog much? I guess I don't! LOL.


So much going on. Lots of running around. All things that were definitely more difficult for me at this time last year, even though I didn't want to admit that at the time. I much prefer being further away from treatment (shh... yes, I am still being treated but taking a pill everyday has become routine).


I never shared the results of haircut number two. I think I can safely say that the chemocurl is gone now. I still have curlier hair, it's just not those tight curls I had before. I think I was always fighting my curls in the world before chemo. I definitely had wavy hair, but I was always trying to get it to be somewhat straight. Now, I treat it like curly hair, I don't brush it and I use those shampoos and products for curly hair. Who knew? LOL.


And since a post like this deserves a photo

This was taken at the end of November, just after haircut number 2. This is my friend Nancy, one of my college roomies. She and her girls came up for the Princeton-RPI hockey game. We went to RPI, who happened to win the game. :) I am extremely proud of Nancy, who looks lost in that sweatshirt... something that fit her a year or so ago. She will be featured in the March issue of the magazine put out by Curves for it's members. Over the course of about 2 years, she has lost 200 lbs through diet and exercise alone. That's right, diet and exercise alone! And a good measure of persistence. I've known her for over half my life and never would have recognized her without her kids. She sounds the same and her eyes are the same, but that's about it. The last time we saw each other was just shortly before my diagnosis and when she was at about the halfway point, so we were both new women in one way or another. I'm also going to point out that I actually fit into my old band shirt from college. :P


And because our girls always reunite as if they had just seen each other the day before instead of a year or two before, here's a photo of the whole gang minus dh, who took the photo. That's 11 yo Nikki, not yet 11 yo Rachel (she has another 3 months to go), and 13 yo Emily. While they were visiting, we went through some old scrapbooks, going all the way back to March 1 1997, when Rachel was still in utero (for 5 more days).



I did title this the drama of December. There has been a lot of drama lately. Fortunately, it's all just life with a tween. In the last week, we've had 5 performances and countless rehearsals of the Nutcracker (almost, still 2 school performances to go today), There was a band concert on her only night off from dance where Rachel forgot her flute (don't even go there... it was the first event that Howie could attend in sometime and he rushed the 45 minutes to home to get her flute, but arrived moments too late). Some little dramas at school, mostly involving hating gym. Nothing too huge. Just enough to make me excited for winter break!

My own little drama is going quite smoothly at the moment. I am getting my tattoos, the last stage in my breast reconstruction, on Dec 20. Picking the color was rather anticlimatic. I am so very pale, that there were really only two possible choices of colors. The surgeon had a card with areaola colors grouped by skin color. He held the card up and the choice was obvious. Of course, reconstruction is not a static event. There may be revisions and I may need the actual implants replaced someday. The tattoos may also need some touching up in the future. But for now, this is it for me. I've had enough.

No comments: