Thursday, December 20, 2007

Another Day, Another Doctor



I think I much prefer having my appointments more spread out than this.

Yesterday's issues have been resolved. My normal podiatrist called me back, told me he would address the issue and told me there would be no charge for the visit. I have an appointment to see him after the new year.

Today is something different though.

Today is TATTOO day!!

I never in my wildest dreams imagined I'd have tattoos. Granted there is nothing exotic or creative about these tattoos. That's really just fine. I've known for a very long time that anything I'd choose to put on my body would be something that I would hate eventually. I change my mind and my tastes far too much!

It's kind of funny. I've had the reconstructed nipples now for 5 months. I've gotten used to them. Now, with the tattoos, I'll be getting areolas and color. So bizarre when you think about it. Just like when the nipples where made back in July.

I admit I'm a tiny bit nervous about the whole thing. Not too nervous though because, unlike your regular tattoo parlor and even unlike the other breast reconstruction plastic surgeon in the office, my doc uses a local anesthetic! I know, I know.. I allegedly have no feeling. But that's not the reality. We learned when I had the nipple reconstruction that I actually DO have feeling, especially on the right side. Ouch! I felt the needle for the local go in on both sides, it only hurt on the one side... and that was 5 months ago. I didn't get to watch that procedure though. I was draped and prepped in the usual sterile fashion (that's a dictation phrase every surgeon and many medical transcriptionists will recognize LOL). I wonder if I'll get to watch this. Rachel is accompanying me and is hoping that at least she will get to watch!

My appointment is at 11 am today. I totally forgot to ask how long it should take. I'm thinking we'll have to go out to lunch afterwards. :) What a long way we have come, my little girl and I. It really wasn't all that long ago, spring 2006, when we went out for lunch after that drastic hair cutting session. I remember asking her about a million times if the wig was still on straight. I was so self conscious that first outting. I was so self conscious everytime I wore it those first few weeks. Funny how things change, because at the end, I was self conscious when I DIDN'T wear it! LOL! I also remember the tears. I really held myself together and didn't cry when my hair was cut down to nothing. We were actually laughing and having fun. The tears came later. No tears today! They actually came yesterday. I'm tired of dealing with the aftermath of cancer, but glad I am around to do so.

No comments: