Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Long Awaited "TALE OF THE DEEP BLUE PEE"

Ahh yes...

I told you there would be lots of reminiscing in the coming weeks. We are now a year from when I had the first of my last mammograms. Last April was a nightmare. I clung to every little positive tidbit I was told and made those my mantra. When I look back now, I see how naively optomistic I was. Optomism is a good thing. A very good thing. I know it's what held me together back then.

In one of my early blog posts from when I finally went public last June, I promised to share the "Tale of the Deep Blue Pee." It's really the first of my "Tales from the Cancer Chronicles." Hmm.. maybe I'll write it all in a book someday. In the meantime, here's the tale direct from my private journal.


**************************************************************************************
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the
BATHROOM
or
the many colors of cancer
It goes like this.
You go to the hospital.
You have a needle localization (a mammogram with a wire placed into your tumor).
You go to the OR and go to sleep. While you are sleeping, blue dye is injected into your breast so the sentinal node, the most important lymph node, can be found. The dye stains your skin and can last a very long time (trust me.. it was still there when that breast was removed 4 months later). Might even be permanent.
Anyway, you wake up from all this and after being pumped up with fluids, you need to use the bathroom. You just had surgery, so a nurse helps you get to the bathroom.
You use the facilities, releasing VAST quantities of urine. You flush and notice the beautiful BLUE water. It is such a pretty color, just like the Carribean waters. You think "Hmmm.... someone must have just cleaned this bathroom. How nice!"
SERIOUSLY!!!
This is what I thought until the nurse said something about
BLUE URINE!!
Yes.
I am a physician.
Yes.
I did research before the surgery.
Yes.
I have even used this same dye on other people. But I use it to test urinary tract integrity so OF COURSE THE URINE IS BLUE!
How in all of this I never managed to hear about the BLUE urine is beyond me!!!!!!
Oh yes... it lasted for a few days too!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melissa,

I have been following your journey for many months. I don't know why I have been a silent follower, but I pray for your good health. Keep up the good work.

I saw you posted on the Old Timer Pea thread on the Two Peas OT Board.

Oh, and by the way, I really like your short and curly hair.

Jennifer Stewart said...

Love the blue pee story. :)

You are such a brave woman and I admire you SO much. I loved reading your sock story. Everytime I use my pink Fiskars trimmer I think of you. (I bought it because of you) I can't believe your anniversary is approaching!

Love,
Jen

Stefanie said...

I remember thinking that the toilet must have just been cleaned, because it was such a nice blue. Then I remembered that we don't put blue stuff in our toilets. :-p And I'm jealous that you got to sleep during your procedure. I was awake during the injections. Ugh!

Cupcake said...

You should definitely write a book! Seriuosly - get an agent!