Thursday, June 19, 2008

Stepping into the dark side....

The dark side of scrapbooking that is.


I've been fighting working digitally from the start. My dh bought me one of the earlier digi scrapbooking programs, but I declined to even upload it to my machine. That was probably a good 10 years ago. Much of the scrapbooking industry has moved in this direction, though you'd never know it from our guest room/scrapbook room/craft room or whatever you'd like to call it.


I had an offer for a very inexpensive photo book. Said offer was about to expire. Knowing a bargain when I see one, I couldn't resist. I spent a few hours (not many) putting together a 30 page album from out last cruise. I tried to use the templates that come with Photoshop Elements 5.0, but wasn't happy. I then tried to use some free digi elements I had downloaded, but the process was too slow and it wasn't working out for me. So, in frustration, I made a simple book using the same background, journaling font and my photos. After I finished the 30 pages, I nearly flipped when I saw I had to design the covers and spine too. But I managed.


I decided today that I would try again and make an actual page. Just a simple one. Here are the results. This took 10 minutes tops. Almost 10 minutes on the nose. I used a free digital kit from ShabbyPrincess.


3 comments:

Lisa VanderVeen said...

Good for you!! I keep meaning to try it - it would certainly free up some space in my little house, as I too have a guestroom/scraproom and mine is also a workout room (so much for the big house in NJ :)

Anyway, my current obsession is Shutterfly albums. I've cranked out 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 in the past 6 months. A great way to get an entire years worth of pics in one slim book, rather than 10 scrap albums :)

Hope you're well. Tell the folks at SMIT hi for me.

Steph said...

Ah. Another one converted to the dark side. :)

Love it, Melissa!!!

Stefanie said...

What Steph said. LOL!!