Monday, November 26, 2007

What's on tap this week

It's a busy week.

Lots of things on the schedule. A little shopping, baking, yoga, driving Rachel everywhere, getting Rachel new jazz shoes for the Nutcracker, picking out tattoo colors, a few shifts at work, a hockey game. All sorts of fun.

Did you catch the one I slipped in there?

Me? A tattoo? That's something I never thought I'd experience. I know myself well enough to know that any tattoo I might have picked out as a teenager would not be something I'd want as a 20-something. Any tattoo I'd pick out as a 20-something, would not be something I'd want as a 50-something. You get the picture. I might admire tattoos that other people have, but it's not something I've ever actively wanted for myself. At least not for more than about 5 minutes. So, it's just not me.

Yet, this Thursday, I have an appointment to pick out tattoo colors. We (and by we I mean me) are entering the last phase of my reconstruction. The nipples that were created back in the summer are now well-healed and have settled down (read that as shrunk to normal sizes). It's time for a little color.

Honestly, as we've gone through each phase, I've thought "Hey, I don't need to do this. I can live with them like this." Hmm..... Not true for the first phase when I just had partially deflated expanders. But it was true for the nipple-less phase. I could have stayed like that forever. It was OK. The breasts or foobs (remember fake boobs=foobs) looked OK without them, especially under clothes, but they look so much more real with them. I imagine I'll feel the same after this part. They look OK with invisible colorless arealae. You can't even tell there's no color under clothing. LOL. I have seen the final product on others and it is amazing. You'd have to look closely to see that it's not real. I am looking foward to that part. I imagine it sounds strange that I am looking forward to not being reminded of the scars on my chest. The scars will still be there, but with the addition of color, the eye will not notice the scars as the first thing you see.

Kind of nervous about this. Not big time nervous, just a little nervous. It's something permanent so I want to make the "right" decision. Reminds me why I never had an interest in getting a tatto in the first place!

No comments: